Aaron S. French Building
- Ground Broken Date: January 1898
- Date Building Named: January 1898
Erected in 1897 by a philanthropist from Pittsburgh, Aaron French, this building was initially Tech's School of Textiles. French helped to establish the school with a generous contribution of money and machinery. The building was converted in 1949 for use by the School of Industrial Engineering and was renovated with a $1.5,000 grant from the Rich Foundation.
The French Building is the current home of the Government & Community Relations Department, Institute support offices and The GT Lorraine offices.
Aaron French, born in Wadsworth, Ohio, was an industrialist and philanthropist. French, as president of the A. French Spring Company, controlled one of the largest industries of Western Pennsylvania over a span of 20 years. The company manufactured spring for cars in both America and Europe. French is largely responsible for funding the building and department of Georgia Tech’s Textile Engineering, now named School of Polymer, Textile & Fiber Engineering