Andrew Carnegie Building
- Ground Broken Date: November 21, 1906
- This building was 1 of 2,509 libraries funded by Andrew Carnegie between 1883 and 1929
During his position as Chairman of the English Department, Matheson began a library housed in his office. One of Matheson's strong interests, and of great importance to the School in its quest to be an academic institution of merit, was the development of a good library. Therefore, Matheson wrote to Andrew Carnegie and persuaded him to fund a library. Andrew Carnegie agreed and donated $20,000 to Georgia Tech for the construction of the first campus standalone library. He donated the money on the stipulation that the Board of Trustees would allocate $2,000 annually to the operating budget of the library. With discussions complete, the library ground breaking was celebrated on November 21st, 1906.
The library officially opened in 1907 with a donation of 700 books from Columbia University. The Library was designed to hold 6,000 to 8,000 volumes in the library proper, with a stack room of 30,000 volumes. This location remained the site of the library until it was outgrown in 1957. The Carnegie Building has since been remodeled and now serves as the office to the President of the Institute.
Carnegie can be described as one who truly set out to live the “American Dream.” He was born in Dunfermline, Scotland, and immigrated to the United States with his parents in 1848, where he lived his life by his motto of, “people who are unable to motivate themselves must be content with mediocrity, no matter how impressive their other talents.” Carnegie was quick to find his passion and motivation when he created the Pittsburgh's Carnegie Steel Company in the late 1800’s, which he went on to sell to J.P. Morgan in 1901 for $480 million, creating the U.S. Steel Corporation.