David Melville (D.M.) Smith Building
- Ground Broken Date: 1923
- Date Building Named: 1923
- The architectural style of this building influenced the appearance of the rest of the Historic District.
The D.M. Smith Building was completed in 1923 thanks to $150,000 donated by the Carnegie Corporation and $50,000 from greater Georgia Tech campaign funds. It is one of twelve structures comprising the Georgia Institute of Technology Historic District. The English collegiate architectural style of the building influenced the construction of Georgia Tech campus buildings for the next twenty years. Many academic departments have been housed in the building. Presently, the building is home to the School of Public Policy and the Pre-Law Departments.
D.M. Smith ("Doc" Smith) was a renowned professor and mathematician at Georgia Tech. He was born in Nashville, TN and went on to earn a master's degree from Vanderbilt University in 1906. Smith then received his Ph.D. from University of Chicago before coming to Georgia Tech as an assistant professor in 1916. D.M. Smith served forty years as professor and was head of the Mathematics department before stepping down in 1950. He was celebrated for his introductory calculus course, where he was known as a gifted teacher who was unfailingly interested and supportive to his students.