Ford Environmental Science and Technology Building
- Dedicated on May 16th, 2003
- $10 Million donated from the Ford Motor Company
The Ford Environmental Science and Technology Building was the largest academic building on Georgia Tech's campus. Due to the Ford Motor Company's principal commitment, the building was named after this business, and is now an integral part of Georgia Tech’s interdisciplinary Life Science and Technology Complex. It houses multiple classrooms for the Environmental Engineering program, Earth and Atmospheric Sciences, Environmental Biology, Environmental Chemistry, Biomedical Engineering, and Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering.
"This is a tremendous new building, and it also is a tool," said Edsel Ford II. "But what counts most is the Georgia Tech scientists, engineers and cadre of dedicated graduate assistants. In the hands of these very capable people, this facility will help increase our environmental understanding and shape a better world for all of us." Ford was correct in that this building is imperative to the research development Georgia Tech’s faculty and student body have to offer. The wet labs, offices for entrepreneurs, and other new , state-of-the-art devices create the ideal environment for research innovations. The Ford Environmental Science and Technology Building is 1st and only university building in the state of Georgia to be funded by a Corporation. Ford has operated in Atlanta for nearly 100 years and has a long history of hiring Tech graduates as well as funding programs at the Institute.
In 1903, Henry Ford started the Ford Motor Company with only $28,000. Today Ford is the world’s third largest automaker and among the most profitable. The largest family-controlled company in the world, the Ford Motor Company has been in continuous family control for over 110 years. Company founder Henry Ford Sr. became known for innovation, transforming cars into commodities for the masses and his company into an American icon.