Harry L. Baker Building
- Dedication: September 29, 1973
- Square Feet: 892,000
The Georgia Tech Research Corporation was founded in 1937 and recreated as the Georgia Tech Research Institute under Harry L. Baker, Jr. in 1946. The organization changed to its modern name in 1984. It serves as the contracting agency for sponsored research projects performed by the Georgia Institute of Technology. GTRC also provides administrative and financial support for Georgia Tech.
In 1973, the Board of Regents approved the naming of the Engineering Experiment Station building to honor Harry L. Baker, Jr. The Baker Building is currently home to the Electro-Optical Systems Laboratory. The lab performs applied research in the growth and application of carbon nanotubes, multifunctional materials, RFID and optical tagging, chem-bio sensors, and has the leading Medical Device Test Center, which examines the interactions between medical devices and security and logistical systems.
Harry Baker was a native of Atlanta and graduated from Georgia Tech in 1934 with a degree in Chemical Engineering where he was an exceptional student and obtained honor roll all four years of school. Additionally, he was a memeber of Beta Theta Pi, Vice President of Alpha Chi Sigma, President of M.L. Brittain Debating Society, and Manager of the Tennis Team.