Joseph Brown Whitehead Building
- Third infirmary on Tech's Campus
- The day of the first infirmary’s dedication was quite a party; according to the Technique, there was cake, punch, and music from the Georgia Tech orchestra.
The Joseph Brown Whitehead Building in use today is actually the third of a series of infirmaries built on Tech’s campus.
The first infirmary was paid for by the Federation of Women’s Clubs with $15,000. Mrs. Whitehead donated $5,000 ($100,000 now) to the cause. She made this large donation for the infirmaries in honor of her husband, Joseph Whitehead, after he died of pneumonia.
Demand for a larger facility grew as Georgia Tech expanded, so in 1953, Mrs. Whitehead’s will paid for an infirmary twice the size of the original with better equipment and physicians.The Joseph Brown Whitehead Building, we know today, was constructed and staffed with medical services fit to treat a wide variety of health demands. The Stamps Health Services that operates out of the building keeps students safe and healthy year-round.
Born Letitia Pate in 1872 and raised in Thaxton, Va., Lettie Pate Whitehead Evans may be the most generous and most mysterious donor in Georgia Tech’s history. At a young age, Mrs. Evans married Joseph B. Whitehead, the man who conceive the idea of bottling Coca-Cola. Whitehead’s company, The Dixie Coca-Cola Bottling Company, quickly became successful, to say the least. After Mr. Whitehead’s untimely death in 1906, Mrs.