Joseph H. Howey Physics Building
- Opened: 1967
- Shaped as an "H" for Howey
The Joseph H. Howey Physics building, named after Joseph H. Howey, is an academic building located on the west campus of the Georgia Institute of Technology in Atlanta, Georgia. Joseph H. Howey was famous for being a director of Georgia Tech's School of Physics from 1935 to 1963. The building was completed in 1967, and is still in use. It was designed by Robert & Company, and built by Wood-Hopkins Construction Company. The building houses physics classes, labs, and calculus classes. An interesting fact can be noticed about the building if looked from the top, as shown in picture, the middle section of the Joseph H. Howey Physics Building is in shape of the letter 'H', which can be attributed to Howey's last initial, H.
Joseph H. Howey received his Bachelors of Arts in 1923 from the College of Wooster an then went on to receive his PhD in Physics from Yale University in 1930. From 1929-1931 he worked as a physicist in the Firestone Tire and Rubber Corporation’s research laboratory before returning to Yale as a professor.