Marion L. Brittain Dining Hall

  • Completed: 1928
  • Renovated: 1964, 1999, 2002 and 2007
  • Contains large stained glass windows

While it was partially funded by the state of Georgia, much of the funding for Brittain Dining Hall came from the Athletic Association and the Georgia Tech Expansion Fund. The building was a joint effort of many of Tech's departments: the architecture department designed the building, the ceramics department manufactured the tile for the floor of the tower, the mechanical engineering department supplied the wrought iron for the light fixtures in the main hall, and the textile department made tapestries for the walls. The Brittain Dining Hall has since been renovated in 1964, 1999, 2002, and again in summer 2007. One of Britain’s highlights is the large stained glass window designed by Julian Harris.The window was dedicated to Georgia Tech graduating classes of 1928-1932. The entrance of Brittain is marked by a (then known as) Georgia School of Technology floor seal. The back of Brittain dubbed "Brittain Rec" serves as the laundromat and meeting place for the Freshmen Experience Program. Brittain includes a Buzz Card activated laundry room, BuzzBy, East Side Market, and a ballroom for events. The front of Brittain Hall features ten Doric pillars emblazoned with stylized busts of ten famous scientific minds and the fields to which they contributed; these are fields that were present at Georgia Tech during Brittain's 1928 construction.

▼ read more ▼ ▲ read less ▲
Honorary - In 1922, Brittain accepted the position of president of the Georgia Institute of Technology, an office he held until 1944. During his 22 years at Georgia Tech, Brittain was credited with doubling student enrollment, establishing what is now the second largest aerospace engineering faculty in the United States, and playing an influential role in securing Georgia Tech's position as a leading technical institute and research university.

Marion L. Brittain

Marion Luther Brittain, Sr. was an academic administrator and president of Georgia tech from 1922 to 1944. Brittain was born in Georgia and spent most of his life serving the educational community of Georgia. He received a Bachelor of Arts degree from Emory College in 1886 and he worked his way up the ranks from principal of an Atlanta high school to superintendent of education for the entire state. In 1922, he accepted the position of president of the Georgia Institute of Technology, then called the Georgia School of Technology, an office he held until 1944.