Parker H. Petit Biotechnology Building

  • Ground Broken Date: 1995
  • Date Building Named: 1999
  • Contains a 24-foot high mural that depicts the variety of cells found within the human body

The Parker H. Petit Institute for Bioengineering and Bioscience ("IBB") was initiated in 1995 to help accelerate Georgia Tech's move into bio-related research. In 1993, Georgia Tech received the Whitaker Foundation Biomedical Engineering Development Award, and funds from this award helped to develop a new Bioengineering Ph.D. program at Georgia Tech. To foster expansion into bio-related research, President G. Wayne Clough advocated the creation of a new biotechnology complex with the IBB building being the cornerstone of the complex. The building officially opened in July 1999. It was designed to foster interdisciplinary research amongst biochemists, bioengineers, and biologists. Support for biological and biomedical research has grown tremendously thanks to the IBB building, receiving more than $20 million in 2012. Today, the students working in the IBB building tackle complex medical research problems with an interdisciplinary approach.

The IBB building has a beautiful atrium that provides the “vertical integration” to facilitate interaction among the three floors of the building. This atrium displays a striking collection of artwork, including a 24-foot high mural that depicts the variety of cells found within the human body. 

▼ read more ▼ ▲ read less ▲
Philanthropy - The building is named after Parker H. Petit for a philanthropic donation of $5 million to the Institute for Bioengineering and Bioscience.

Parker H. Petit

Mr. Petit was born on August 4, 1939 in Atlanta, GA. He went on to receive his Bachelor's and Master's degrees in engineering mechanics from Georgia Tech. In 1973, he received an MBA in Finance from Georgia State University. Mr. Petit founded Healthdyne, a healthcare company that manufactured high technology healthcare devices and provided healthcare services and disease management. After Healthdyne split into several companies, Mr. Petit oversaw them all as Chairman of the Board.