Thomas P. Hinman Research Building
- Ground Broken Date:1939
- Date Building Named: 1951
- Renovation Date: 2011
The Hinman building was the first home of the Engineering Experiment Station and was built by the Works Progress Administration in 1939. The Engineering Experiment Station served as the precursor to the Georgia Tech Research Institute. The building was named after Thomas P. Hinman, an Atlanta area dentist in 1951, following the completion of a new wing that nearly doubled the size of the facility. The majority of funding for the expansion came from the estate of Hinman.
In 2011, the Hinman building underwent a $9.5 million renovation, which included a spiral staircase enveloped in a “sock” of cable mesh that leads to faculty offices. The 35,000-square-foot facility houses studio, classroom, office, research, gallery and space for the College of Architecture.
Born in Stratford-Ontario, Canada, Thomas P. Hinman moved to Atlanta at a young age. In 1891, he earned his degree in dentistry from the Southern Medical College. Hinman’s reputation in dentistry grew in the areas of education practice; his many accomplishments include the creation of the Atlanta Midwinter Clinic which brought the most important medical and dental authorities to Atlanta. With the same fervor in his practice, he became a notable figure in Atlanta’s civic and business affairs. Dr.