William Vernon Skiles Classroom Building
- Ground Broken: 1959
- Building Naming: 1964
- Fun Fact: The Skiles classroom building is actually two independent buildings connected by covered walkways
The Skiles Classroom Building, originally known simply as the “Classroom Building,” became the new home of the Georgia Tech Mathematics Department in 1959. The Skiles building was one of Tech’s first buildings to blend the traditional architecture of the old campus along with modernist aspects, a precursor to the buildings of campus today. The Skiles building is a cornerstone of most Tech student’s experiences and its courtyard provides a place of quiet relaxation for students and faculty alike.
Dr. Skiles joined the Georgia Tech family in 1906 as an assistant professor of mathematics. At the time of his retirement, he had held the post of Executive Dean at Georgia Tech longer than any other man. He was born in Troygrove, Illinois in 1879 and graduated from Illinois State Normal University in Loda, Illnois. He entered the University of Chicago and recieved his bachelor of science degree in 1906. He immediately came to Tech as an assistant professor in Mathematics.