Bunger began at Georgia Tech as an instructor in 1927 and was promoted to head of the Chemical Engineering department in February 1940. Bunger had been involved in the creation of Georgia Tech's Engineering Experiment Station after its first director, W. Harry Vaughan, left for a higher-paying job at the Tennessee Valley Authority in December 1940. Bunger was named acting director of the station after Vaughan. Less than a year later, Bunger died suddenly on August 15, 1941 while visiting Minneapolis, Minnesota.
- Bachelor of Science
- Chemical Engineering
- Ph.D from the University of Minnesota