Joseph H. Howey received his Bachelors of Arts in 1923 from the College of Wooster an then went on to receive his PhD in Physics from Yale University in 1930. From 1929-1931 he worked as a physicist in the Firestone Tire and Rubber Corporation’s research laboratory before returning to Yale as a professor. In 1934 Howey joined the Georgia Tech faculty as a professor of physics and in 1935 became the director of Tech’s Physics Department where he helped establish a standard curriculum and created graduate and PhD programs. Howey requested that he be changed to the associate director beginning in 1963 so that he could focus on the planning and designing of a new physics building. Unfortunately Howey passed in 1973 before the completion of the new building and was succeeded in his post by Vernon Crawford, but three years after his death on September 17, 1976 the new physics building he helped design was dedicated and named in his honor.
- Director of Georgia Tech's School of Physics
- Helped develop the school of physics graduate and PhD programs.
- Dedicated his later years at Tech to the design of what later became the Howey Physics Building.