Hal L. Smith (pictured right), a graduate of Georgia Tech in 1926, came from a long line of contributors to Georgia Tech. John E. Smith, Hal's father graduated from Georgia Tech in 1895 with a degree in mechanical engineering. While at Tech, he was the captain of the baseball team and was quarterback on the football team, which, in 1894, beat Auburn University 94-0. After Tech, John E. Smith started the John Smith Company, an automobile firm. In 1941, John E. Smith donated a tract of land at Tenth Street and Fowler Street, the area where the Hank McCamish Pavilion sits today. John's father, John M. Smith, was one of the original donors to the founding of Georgia Tech. Without him, Georgia Tech would not exist. In 1948, a residence hall was dedicated in memory of John M. Smith by his son and grandson.
- Captain of the Georgia Tech baseball team in 1895
- Quarter back of the Georgia Tech football team in 1895