In 1949, the Department of Mechanical Engineering officially became the School of Mechanical Engineering with its own director and administrative staff. In 1985 the School was named for its benefactor, distinguished Atlanta business and civic leader, the late George W. Woodruff (class of 1917).
Georgia Tech opened its doors in 1888 with mechanical engineering being its only degree-granting program during the Institute’s first eight years. Mechanical Engineering has grown over the years: from the original shop or trade culture to a professional curriculum with experimental laboratories and multi-disciplinary challenges. Today, we are the largest enrollment academic unit on campus. However, throughout our history one thing has always remained constant: excellence in creating and building products, devices, and systems that make the world a better place!
Georgia Tech's highly-ranked undergraduate mechanical engineering program encompasses cutting-edge, multi-disciplinary areas, such as acoustics, bioengineering, materials, manufacturing, robotics, and MEMS. The Woodruff School also includes highly-ranked programs in Nuclear and Radiological Engineering and Medical Physics.
Today, the Woodruff School of Mechanical Engineering is the oldest and second largest of the ten divisions in the College of Engineering at Georgia Tech.
George Waldo Woodruff attended Georgia Tech in 1917, earning a degree in mechanical engineering. In the midst of his education, he fought in WWI. He later attended the Massuchusets Institute of Technology.